Monday, October 20, 2008

In The Trenches

Photobucket

See that view? Its the view from my window as I write this. I'm in China. I have been here for a few days, but I have been to lazy to post my initial reaction to arriving here. Its very difficult to make myself do anything when I don't have the Internet in my apartment. I mean, even writing this blog post seems semi futile, as who knows when it will actually get posted. But at least you know it has been written. At least I know it has been written. Losing productivity is not what I want to happen here. I have to keep myself busy.

Well, after being here a few days, I have come to discover what is hardest about being here: I have no one to talk to most the time. I feel as if I have taken a vow of silence at times. I find myself trying to have conversations with cab drivers that don't understand what I am saying. I find myself trying to start conversations with every foreigner I see. I know, I have only been here 4 days, and last time I was here for 5 weeks, but this time, I am alone. I have no companions to speak with. Also, I am not as central in the city, which means that there are fewer English speaking Chinese here, and less foreigners. I am pretty sure that the hardest part of this is the transition, but it does get pretty bad. Right now, music is my biggest friend.

I think once I get the internet in my room, things will become much easier. Oh, on a side note, I fried my 360 power supply when I plugged it in, as I stupidly forgot that they use 220v of power as opposed to our 110v in the states.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol. Third time's a charm, right?
Never lose sight of why you chose to be there. As long as you feel lonely, you'll reach out for others. The danger comes when you can't even do that.

You are missed here in the States.

-burrito

Lauren said...

You can call me again anytime if you're lonely though it probably costs a lot. If you do, try not to scare me so bad next time >.< (yes I realize this means you will try even harder to scare me). We're all thinking of you :) Keep talking to the men in your head until you make Chinese friends.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed your call, but my phone was acting like a bitch. Anyways, sorry to hear that you have no one to talk to and your xbox is dead. Just don't forget to add a little ph7 to your playlist ;)

Anonymous said...

"Chengdu has one of the lowest sunshine totals in China (less sunshine annually than London), and most days are cloudy even if without rain. This is especially so in the winter months, when it is typically interminably grey and dreary. Spring (Mar-Apr) tends to be sunnier, warmer and drier than autumn (Oct-Nov)."

Got that from wikipedia... Suck for you!!!!