Saturday, October 11, 2008

Morning

(this is part of the Eastern Sierras series of images)

We camped at Tom's Place. Well, not exactly, but near it. Tom's Place is just North of Bishop along the 395. You can find it on a map fairly easily. The name of the campsite, was Aspen Grove. That place is beautiful. As we were driving there, we were making plans relating to waking up before sunrise in hopes to get me to a place where I could shoot sunrise. When we arrived at the campsite at midnight, we began to doubt that it was going to happen. When we went to bed at 3am, we knew it wasn't going to happen. Instead, we made plans to get up at 7. As we dozed off, the night got colder and colder, until the point in which I decided to bury myself in a sleeping bag like a caterpillar in a cocoon. Even the best plans fail. Luckily, we only slept in until 8am.

Soon after we got up, the sun started creeping over the nearby mountains and shining light into our campsite. Just as the sun peeked over the peaks, our campsite lit up with the glow of a million glowing aspen leaves. Its funny how warm direct light from the sun can be. As we began packing our tent, and boiling water, I picked up my camera and began shooting. Its hard to describe in a photo the beauty of that glow.  The feeling of warmth as the first rays of sun light hit you on a cold morning. Its as if the whole world woke up with the sun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I take it you have a new appreciation for Aspens?

I'll always remember South Lake.